Thursday, December 21, 2017

Summer Learning Journey! (Bonus)

To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races.

Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?

Waka Ama looks extremely challenging. I would love to have a go at this, and the experience of trying this would be amazing. I like how they are all in sync with their group, and everyone looks so focused.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tess

    Imagine how fit you would have to be to be in a Waka Ama race. You would have to have great team work too. I think the team that worked really well together would be the winners.
    I agree it would be very challenging and I think would take a lot of practice.
    Have you seen any Waka's on Lake Brunner? I think they do have racing there sometimes?
    I would be scared I think. I would be worried about falling out of the boat.
    Well done Tess, I am looking forward to reading more of your posts over the summer.

    Until next time

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allie!
    No, I haven't seen any Waka's on Lake Brunner, maybe they do have races there sometimes. Thank you for the great comment. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.