Thursday, December 21, 2017

Summer Learning Journey! (2)

The Activity: Imagine that you were on board one of the Waka.
On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand.
In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country.


Day 1: Setting Off..
We have just pushed the boat off the shore, I can hear the scraping of the sand on the bottom of my boat slowly disappear into the calm sensation of the water lapping against the sides. There are cries and cheers from the shore, and I search for my family while I wave. There they are! I wave to them vigorously. That will be the last time I see them. The smile on my face disappears as I turn around and help the others. The strong current in the water makes us heave through the water, getting tired by each row we take. I look back, the sun falls in the sky and I can barely make up the Island. Maybe we can't even see it? I miss my family already, I know I am helping them, but I am so homesick. I stop day dreaming and I was shocked and frightened by the noise I hear. The crackle of lightening. We row with all our might, we all want to survive.

Day 10...
We have been surviving on bare necessities and the grumble of my stomach has never stopped. At least I am allowed food. I think to myself. I look around to find nothing, but empty blue sea, which has been nice to us, giving us food for a long time now, but also so cruel to the ones here on this waka, the thundering waves crashing on our heads nearly tipping us over with every wave. I think about the people back on the island, my family and friends, what they are thinking, what they are doing now. I wish I could tell them how much I miss them. My journal is my only hope. When I die, someone will read this and know about what we went through to get to this island. If we even make it. a crew member fell from the waka, after a vicious wave pounded on his head. We couldn't even help him get back on, there was another wave coming and we had to act fast. I hope he will be ok, but with no food, no water I kn- I stopped my self thinking about what would happen. The dreadful consequence. My eyes are falling heavy and I feel myself slowly drifting off to sleep. The worst of the waves has passed, now little waves lapping at our side.

Day 20...
The days have been good to us since I last wrote, the bestest weather we've had yet. So far, I know I shouldn't be saying it like this, but only one crew member has fallen into the mouth of the deep blue. I am very thankful that was not me.. We are basically on scraps now for food, and you can all see what having hardly any food has done to us and all the hard work compared. Our water has been running low, and we are all thirsty. If only the sea was fresh water. I haven't written  how I feel about reaching our destination. I have a mixture of feeling I guess, Excited, nervous, worried but also keen for our future. I am worried about if we fail to find water, or food. I just hope we can make it, please can we make it. No more storms, no more...

Day 30... Arrival
"Help!!!" we all scream as the waves crash. I cannot see, nearly pitch black but I can hear the cries. 3 gone from our waka from the first time we set off, and we have 5 more people on board still. I am scared. So scared that more will be taken and I will be the only one left. I make out in the darkness the hugest wave we have ever seen, and slowly rising. I know this will be the end... It feels like the wave hit directly at me, me head knocks the hard wood and I instantly have been knocked out. I awake. I look around and see an island. "We made it! Look over there!!" tears of joy come to my eyes as we cheer. Thick green forestry surrounds the Island. I am so looking forward to getting out of this waka. walking again, my legs feel like they have got bricks on top of them. We have just run out of water - and food. We have a much better chance here. We have made it! I don't think I'll ever feel as happy as I am now. We are home...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tess,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team.
    Wow! What a great post! You have done an amazing job and I really like how you have laid it out like a diary. You've used a lot of emotive language which makes us feel like we're there with you. Well done!

    I think that a lot of settlers would have been very concerned about finding fresh water once they reached the island. What do you think they would have done if they ran out of fresh water on their voyage to New Zealand?

    Have you ever been on a boat before? I've been on boats a few times but I always get very sea sick so my favourite part of being on a boat is getting off!

    I look forward to reading more great blog posts like this over summer. Keep up the good work!
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruby!
      Thanks for your helpful comment. I'm not sure what they would do if they ran out of water, maybe if they saw an island, then they could go there and try to find water? I have been on a boat before, In the summer time when it's nice and hot I go for a sail with my family most nights.

      Delete
    2. Hi Tess,

      Good thinking! But I reckon they were all making sure they didn't run out of fresh water!
      That's awesome that you go sailing in the summer so much. Where do you go sailing?

      Cheers,
      Ruby.

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Tess,

    My name is Megan and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey commenting on your blogs over the summer.

    I am astounded by your descriptive writing ability, Tess. I cannot believe that you have created such a beautiful piece and you are only 10 years old. I could not take my eyes off your journal as you created a very realistic scene and it felt like I was watching your adventure from the edge of the waka. I'm sure many explorers travelling from the Polynesian Islands by waka, would have experience the loss of someone going overboard in bad weather. It was great how you thought about how this might feel. I would agree with you, in that situation I would feel sad, scared, but also relieved that I wasn't the person overboard.

    If you were to write your own book what would you write about? I could see you becoming an author of some type in the near future. I am excited to hear your thoughts.

    Thank you for sharing such a creative piece of writing. Keep up the amazing Mahi, Tess.

    Have a lovely summer,
    Megan :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.